The History of Holy Trinity Gore
The Rev'd Canon Hoani Parata.
Vicar of Gore
The first official recognition of Gore’s need for an Anglican priest seems to be in January 1880, when the Bishop visited Gore and planned that the Rev H.J.C. Gilbert of Tapanui should provide services at Gore. The Rev. Gilbert found the situation impossible. The Bishop then proposed that Gore should be served by a missionary service. The next step was to build a Church. The original Holy Trinity Church was tendered for by Messrs. Duncan and McLean for £268.10.0. It was opened by the Rev. C.J. Byng of Dunedin on the 22 May 1881.
In 1890 it was decided to move the Church building from its site in Stratford Street, to the present site, as Gore was expanding. This was achieved with the use of a traction engine. In 1945 the old Church was burnt down by an arsonist and within a fortnight the same fate had befallen the Church Hall. The Church building was temporarily replaced by a new Church Hall dedicated in 1948 and used, until replaced by the present building.The present Church building was started in 1953, the foundation stone being laid by the Bishop of Dunedin, the Rt. Rev Allen Howard Johnston on Saturday 20 March 1954.